PLEASE NOTE: The information below applies to employees in the School of Humanities and Sciences. Please consult your local HR for more information regarding winter closure policies in your School/Unit.
2023 Winter Closure Dates
The 2023 winter close will be observed from Thursday, December 21, 2023, through Wednesday, January 3, 2024 with the following dates designated as university holidays:
- Monday, December 25, 2023
- Tuesday, December 26, 2023
- Monday, January 1, 2024
Regular operations will resume on Thursday, January 4, 2023. Except where operations must continue, all areas of H&S are asked to close during this period.
The additional days off with pay may be taken on any typical workday during the close period, not an employee's regularly scheduled day off or a designated holiday. For the other regular workdays during winter close that are not designated by the University as holidays or paid days off, we recommend employees use the following options to cover closure dates:
- Floating holiday or available personal time off (PTO) for 2023 or accrued vacation time
- Time off borrowed from 2024 PTO accrual (24 hours per calendar year, which is prorated for part-time employees)
- Time off borrowed from 2024 floating holiday accrual (16 hours per calendar year, which is prorated for part-time employees)
- Time off borrowed from December 2023 vacation accrual, which is normally not available for use until 1/1/24 (up to one month’s accrual is permitted)
- Leave without pay
AREAS THAT ARE UNABLE TO FULLY CLOSE DUE TO CRITICAL OPERATIONS
For areas that are unable to fully close due to critical research or deadline-related operations, please connect with your HR Business Partner.
If staff are approved to work during winter closure due to the critical nature of their work (including staff working remotely) managers should be available to supervise staff and support should be available to address any facility, safety, and/or personnel-related emergencies. Except where critical operations must continue, all areas of the University are asked to close during this two-week period and all staff (benefits-eligible, contingent, and student employees) should follow the winter closure policy.
The Dean's Office is observing winter closure as follows:
- Thursday 12/21: Vacation/PTO/Floating Holiday
- Friday 12/22: Vacation/PTO/Floating Holiday
- Monday 12/25: HOLIDAY
- Tuesday 12/26: HOLIDAY
- Wednesday 12/27: Vacation/PTO/Floating Holiday
- Thursday 12/28: Vacation/PTO/Floating Holiday
- Friday 12/29: Additional Day with Pay
- Monday 1/1: HOLIDAY
- Tuesday 1/2: Additional Day with Pay
- Wednesday 1/3: Additional Day with Pay
If you have any questions, please contact Cindy Cho at cindyly [at] stanford.edu (subject: Winter%20Closure) (cindyly[at]stanford[dot]edu) or 5-8836.