SU Paid Temps
Hiring a temporary or casual staff employee? Every temporary employee must have a Background Check on file unless otherwise specified. Effective January 1, 2018, a new California law requires that a written offer of employment must be provided to the candidate before a background check can be initiated.
The new Temp/Casual Employee offer letter and additional attachments are provided below.
Casual Employees Defined
Employees on the university payroll appointed less than 50 percent FTE and work no more than 980 hours during the calendar year for all job assignments.
If performing technical, maintenance or service duties, the employee may be appointed less than half time for four consecutive months or longer.
Temporary Employees Defined
Employees on the university payroll appointed at 50 percent FTE or more for no longer than six consecutive months and work no more than 980 hours during the six-month period for all job assignments.
If duties are technical, maintenance, or service, employees may be appointed at 50 percent FTE or more for no longer than four consecutive months.
Offer Letter and Attachments
- Temp-Casual Offer Letter (Updated 12/13/21)
- CA Labor Code: Section 2810.5 (updated 9/3/21)
- CA Division of Worker's Compensation - Time of Hire Pamphlet (updated 9/3/21)
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Emergency Contact Form
- Rights of Victims of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Stalking
- Stanford University Onboarding Guide for Temp or Casual Employees
- Sick Time for Hourly Employees: FAQs for Supervisors & Employees
- Temp/Casual Pay Structure (Updated 10/21/21)
- Temp/Casual Compensation System (Updated 10/21/21)
- Temp/Casual FAQs